Social media has become so addictive to many of us . when we wake up in the morning the first thing we do is to check our cell phones for new massages and post even when we sleep at night the last thing we do is check and answer the new massages from our friends. The life now without social feel real boring .
That make it clear for every one that social media has huge impact on our lives both mental and physical even emotional .In this article we will look at how can social media affect your relationship with your partner .We will do that by looking at the negative and positive effect of social media of social media on relationship.
Social media can many effects on relationship but most of them has to do with one thing which is time . if couples can be able to spend quality and enough time together with or without social media their relationship will not have problems for social media . below is the list of five negative effect of social media on relationship as well some tips on how you can avoid them in your relationship .
5 negative effect of social media on relationship
- Reduction in couple time
- disloyal or unfaithfulness
- Miserable relationship
According to ourworldindata.org they are 7.7 billion people on earth out of that 7.7 billion people 3.5 billion use social media and 2.26 billion of those was using Facebook on 2018 and that number is increasing as time goes on . That make clear for us that Facebook is the number social media that is used by many people .
But how How does Facebook cause jealousy on couples ?
Well to understand that let look at what we do when we at Facebook. When we are online on Facebook the most things we do are chatting , posting photos commenting on other peoples posts etc .When we post photos sometimes we post photos of our friends which can make our partners think that we are in love with them .
The same thing goes on commenting . On Facebook the comments are public which mean every one can see what are you saying on the post including the your partner . Some of the compliment we give our friends on their posts can hurt our partners so be careful when you are commenting on your friends post especial to the ones who are different in gender from you.
2.Reduction in the couple time
Social me can reduce the time you spend with your partner . That happen on the couples who are working those leave their home early in the morning for their work. During the day those couples don’t get enough time for checking all the massages on their phones and emails. When they come back home later they come across with a lot of massages which need to be answered .As a result instead talking with their partners they will be busy with answering massages on their phones . Which can make their partner feel neglected .
If you are doing that every day you might think that it is normal and accepted to your partner but you don’t know how does he feel about that deep in I his hearty .At the early stage he might not say anything about it but as the time goes on his actions will show that he is not happy.
According to inforgraphy . The average time couple spend in most popular social medial are as follow.
- Facebook -58 minutes
- Instagram -53 minutes
- YouTube -40 minutes
This is the average , if you add all those minutes the total Is 151 minutes which is almost 2 and half hour per day .This can be looked like small number since we have 24 hours per day but if you add that 2.5 hour to the 8 hours that you are at worker that become a bigger number.
The above time is the average and it not every who use the all above 3 social media platform but most people will use 2 of the above and maybe some other social media which can take more of their time with their partners.
Cheating is the another outcome of being addicted on social media .In most social media platform it is to find friends more special on facebook . Facebook show you the people you may know in your place and you can add them as your friends . Once you are friends with them it will be easy for you have to meeting so that you will know more about each other. On that stage the chances of falling in love are very high.
They is nothing wrong with meeting new friends in your area all you need to do is to be honest to your partner.
Social media can reduce the loyalty between the couples . This happen more often on the couples who use social media like Facebook ,whatspp ,twitter and other social media you can use to chat with your friends. You know when you are busy chatting with your friends on cellphone it easy to forget to do other things. More especial when you are having good conversation with your friends you might even forgot the other things you do when you are together with your partner including the support you always give to your partner will be different.
But What cause the support to be different ?
To understand that let look at when do you see that some one need your support.in most of time you see that when you are talking with that person .by the time you talk with him you can see that person has problem with this and that so you will consider to take actions. Others will tell you if they need your support but most people are afraid to ask for help so the right time know when does someone need your help is when you are talking with him.
So if you are having a good time with your friends on social media you will not get that time to talk with your partner up the point where you can see that your partner has problem on this and that .
So does all social media bad for couples?
Absolute No they are some good social media platform for couples one of them is YouTube .YouTube is the best because on YouTube you are watching videos of which you can even watch together with your partner. When both of you are watching the same video on one screen chances are both of you will be engaged on that video you will end up talking about what you see on that video which can romantic moment for both of you depending on the type of video you are watching.
Joy and happiness are things that are way too far from the relationship that has Jealousy , cheating and no loyalty. All this thing will create problems in your relationship you can end up fighting with your partner everyday because of social media .when you are having good time with your friends on social media every day you might even think that your partner is boring and perhaps end up cheating which can end your relationship.
Positive effect of social media on relationship
Social is not total worthless for couples . In fact the are more positive effect of social media on relationship than negative effect. below is the list of them explained briefly by Rosie Harman at Thriveglobal
- Reducing physical distances: Long distance relationships are never easy. But couples or families who have to spend time apart for long periods can still feel close to each other. They can communicate and interact via social media. Even if they’re separated by thousands of miles.
- Better understanding: Social media profiles often act as a snapshot of a person’s personality. They display a person’s likes, dislikes, social circle, opinions, views, and habits. This can be convenient. It can help new friends decide if they would like to enter into a relationship with the other person. It helps you assess if you are compatible with the other person.
- Staying in touch: College means your children will ultimately move out of your house. They will have to start their own lives. But your interaction with them does not have to be limited to postcards. You don’t have to wait for long-distance phone calls anymore. You can follow what’s happening in their lives over social media. Just reach out to them, and offer support and guidance.
- Memories: The memory feature on social media allows families to relive amazing family moments. Pictures, videos, tags, check-ins, etc. show up every year on the anniversary of the event. This can help keep the nostalgia and familial love going strong.
- Bonding: Social media allows family members to see what each other is posting. It lets them bond over things they like. This will also spill over into real life. It helps keep family members close over shared interests, hobbies, and more.
- Single Parent Families: Divorce is fairly common, but children still need some form of stability. They crave the presence of both parents in their lives. While parents may not get along on their own, they can still communicate with their kids. Obviously, doing this over social media is almost natural. This helps make sure there is no estrangement. Source >>> Thriveglobal
Social media was designed for help us to build community online and share content including text massages, photos , videos etc which is good for every one. When it come to relationship it important to prioritise your partner by giving him all the time he want from you.
That does not mean be always with and talk with your partner all the time remember everything become annoying when it become too much.So try to be good time manager and lean to balance things in life .